How Do I Decide The Best Location For My New Building ?
It’s a question we hear a lot, "where is the best place to site my building ?" and the answer is always the same, "it depends on what you’re using it for." Here are some points to remember when siting the building. As always, we’d be delighted to offer as much assistance as we can to help you decide; please telephone, or visit our buying tips page.
- Do you require Planning Permission ? Check with your local planning office before you do anything – there’s no point going to all this effort and then having to move the building. Similarly, it’s a good idea to check that your neighbours don’t object before the building is delivered!
- Please keep in mind the position of the sun. If you’re siting a greenhouse or summerhouse, you will probably wish to locate the building directly in its path. However, if you’re locating a workshop, it’s unlikely you’ll want to be working in a building heated by the sun’s rays!
- Similarly, if it’s a greenhouse or somewhere you’ll be working with plants, you’ll probably want there to be a water supply close-by. Running a water supply down a long garden would be uneconomical, so perhaps a location nearer to the house ?
- Electric and phone lines may be a consideration too so, again, perhaps a better idea to consider a location nearer to the house ?
- It can get very muddy and damp in the winter, so locating the door of the building next to a path is always good news.
- To ensure the longevity of your building, we do not recommend that trees or shrubs overhang the building.
- You should position the building a minimum of 12" away from walls and fences for two reasons; 1. To allow the fitter to install the building correctly, and 2. to allow you to retreat the building easily
- Our fitter will require a clear route from the delivery vehicle to the site. This means that any steps, height restrictions, etc may present a problem, however, we are happy to offer assistance in this matter.